During the winter months it’s important to reduce the risk of wash-off when applying render products.
Reduced ambient humidity levels, cooler days and less hours of sunlight can all combine to drastically affect the drying time of your render. Because of these challenges, ROCKCOTE has specifically developed a range of products adapted to the issues associated with winter rendering.
Selected ROCKCOTE products are now available in a Winter Grade formulation, specially designed to aid in the drying of your finish and reduce the risk of wash-off in the cooler conditions we experience in Australia around this time of year.
On average, acrylic texture needs 24-48 hours to dry, based on 25°C days and 50% relative humidity, but in cooler temperatures the drying time is prolonged significantly. The ideal air temperature for application of Winter Grade formulations is between 15 to 20°C, depending upon the weather conditions, whereas our Summer Grade formulations perform best in temperatures above 20°C.
Available in ROCKCOTE Sandcote, Sandcote HYDRATECH and Tuscany Trowel On, our winter-grade acrylic formulations are specially designed to aid in the drying time of the finish in the cooler months.
While these Winter Grade formulations perform to the same high level of quality you can expect from ROCKCOTE, the usual considerations also need to be taken into account:
- Always check the weather forecast before commencing application and do not apply paint or render products during wet weather, or in temperatures below 10°C.
- Check the moisture content of the substrate/existing coating prior to and during application – the substrate must not contain more than 15% WME (Wood Moisture Equivalent).
- Keep areas sheltered from rain and moisture for at least 24-48 hours prior to and following application, depending on climatic conditions, and allow proper ventilation for good air flow to aid in the drying process.
- The ideal humidity level for application is between 50 – 60%.
- For colour consistency, it is recommended to use product with the same manufacturing batch numbers.
As with any render or paint application checking the specifications and working within the product’s guidelines is essential for the best results.
Always refer to the Technical Data Sheets and contact your local ROCKCOTE stockist, or our team for further information.
To find out more, read our Winter Grade Formulations flyer.