The Best Gap Fillers for a Flawless Paint Job

Painting is a great way to modernise your home and create a new look and feel within each area. However, it is common to encounter gaps and cracks in your walls or ceiling that can be challenging to paint. These gaps can make your paint job look uneven and unprofessional if not addressed.

The good news is that there are various gap fillers to choose from that can help you achieve a smooth and polished look on your walls. This blog will discuss some of the best gap fillers to use when painting over your walls.

What is a gap filler, and why is it needed?

A gap filler is designed to fill in gaps or holes, hiding them completely after painting. Small gaps can expand if left, causing more significant problems that may require professional assistance. This is why gap fillers are such an important step before painting.

A gap filler ensures that your finished paint job looks flawless and professional. It also makes cleaning easier and reduces the amount of dust that accumulates in small gaps.

What are the best gap fillers that professionals use?

  • Spackle
    Spackle is a quick-drying material ideal for small gaps in walls and ceilings and can be sanded down depending on the gap size. To use spackle, scoop some with a putty knife and press it into the gap or hole. Smooth it out and let it dry before sanding it down. Spackle is available in both paste and powder form, making it convenient to mix into whatever consistency you prefer.
  • Joint Compound
    Joint compound is a popular choice for larger gaps. This filler is used to bridge gaps between plasterboard seams, but it can also fill in holes and gaps in plasterboard. Joint compound is easy to apply, dries quickly, and is inexpensive. It is available in both pre-mixed and powder form, and you can choose between different drying times, depending on your needs.
  • Putty
    Putty is another gap filler that is popular among professional painters. It is a malleable filler typically used for timber, where surfaces meet, for example, in corners or between trims. Putty is soft enough to be moulded to fit any gaps and very easy to sand down.
  • Caulking Compounds
    Caulking compounds are a more malleable material that can be moulded to fit gaps between two surfaces. It expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity, so it is ideal for use in areas that experience movement, such as between baseboards and walls or around windows and doors. It is important to note that not all caulking compounds are paintable, so be sure to select a paintable caulking compound if you plan to paint over it.
  • Foam Backer Rod
    A foam backer rod is an excellent option for filling larger gaps, typically 1.5cm or larger. It is a foam cylinder that you push into the hole to fill before applying caulking compound or joint compound. This filler is ideal for deep gaps that are difficult to fill, as it helps save on material costs while also providing an excellent seal and insulation.

The Rockcote Products you can use as gap fillers

However, if any of these products are to be used externally the addition of Cement is required.

Using the right gap fillers during painting is essential to achieving a flawless and professional finish. Various types of fillers are available depending on the size and location of the gap or crack, making it easy to achieve the desired smoothness and finish.

Selecting the right gap filler can help you achieve a perfect paint job that lasts for years to come. But remember, when choosing the right filler for you, ensure that it is suitable for painting, easy to sand and can withstand movement due to temperature and humidity.

Happy painting!